Gallery

Dietary Cholesterol and Cancer

A 2001 study published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention (Mayne et al.) found a statistically significant increase in risk of cancer of the esophagus and stomach with high intake of dietary cholesterol (75th percentile compared to 25th percentile). Adjusted … Continue reading

Gallery

Agriculture with Desalinized Water: Cost Estimate

How much would it cost to grow a crop using desalinized ocean water? This post is a rough (back of the envelope) calculation. 1. Cost of Water This article from San Francisco discusses new desalination plants in California. Two cost … Continue reading

Gallery

Fuel Ethanol makes World Hunger worse

A serious problem is found in the diversion of agricultural resources to grow corn for ethanol. Over the last 5 years (2008 to 2012 inclusive), the U.S. has used an average of 4.566 billion bushels of corn per year to … Continue reading

Gallery

Which Crops would be most effective in Ending World Hunger?

PART ONE According to the World Food Programme, only about 8% of undernourished persons in the world are in a state of famine (not enough food to survive), and the other 92% are in a state of chronic hunger (enough … Continue reading

Gallery

Healthy Oil Blend (omega-3, omega-6, omega-9)

My healthy oil blend: 4.0 parts flax oil 2.0 parts grapeseed oil or expeller-pressed sunflower oil 1.0 part extra-virgin olive oil This blend is 10% saturated fat, 30% omega-3, 30% omega-6, 30% omega-9 fats. Excess omega-6 and too little omega-3 … Continue reading

Gallery

Vegan substitute for Grated Parmesan Cheese

Cook whole-grain pasta “al dente” (still a little firm in the middle). Strain; do not rinse. Toss pasta in a bowl with healthy vegetable oil blend (with balance of omega-3, -6, and -9 fats). Add oat bran and wheat germ … Continue reading

Gallery

Superfood Salad Recipe: 25+ healthy ingredients

Superfood Salad Recipe This super-healthy salad includes: * antioxidants * bioflavonoids (healthy plant compounds found mainly in raw fruits and vegetables) * carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin) * glucosinolates (healthy plant compounds found in cruciferous vegetables) * soluble … Continue reading